Tuesday, March 23, 2010

career intervention . . .

lately, i've been running into a lot of frustration at my current job. 
i feel like the people i work with, and the people i work for have absolutely no clue what i do, or what i am capable of doing for that matter. since my graduation from college, i have had 3 jobs in my chosen field, and in all three of those jobs, i have had executives/coworkers/supervisors that didn't fully understand my job description. throughout my career i've discovered that people take for granted the programs you have extensive knowledge in and expect you to use only programs they know how to use: for example, Microsoft word, Microsoft excel, and Powerpoint. 

for the past year, i have had little creativity in the workplace, which is not at all my fault. the company i work for has a strong marketing view that calls for very little advertising and creative brainstorming - um, which is exactly what i'm supposed to do. over time i have become creatively starved, and am being given projects an executive assistant would do – not a graphic artist. and quite honestly, i've been feeling more and more like a glorified assistant than an artist. 

i need a change
i need to be creative.

i've been really digging away at what really makes me happy and what i truly enjoy doing. once of those things that kept popping up in my mind was makeup. for years i've been interested in pursuing a career as a make-up artist, and honestly, i think it's time.
i mean seriously, this looks like something i could see myself doing. 
it is something that would keep me inspired... and i have to stop ignoring my inner grown-up that keeps telling me to just keep working my boring job. 

so... i think i've found it. i've found something to pursue, something more to achieve. i've found my inspiration. i've found a goal to achieve... maybe even just a class to take  : )

hey, it's a start.

No comments:

Post a Comment